The Circus Juventas work-study leadership program is for our most dedicated students, ages 14 and older. Not only does work-study provide a great way to get further involved at Circus Juventas (and it’s fun!), it offers a valuable experience that can be included on college applications.
To apply for work-study, follow the link below to the online application and read the policies and procedures (see below). Contact Ariel with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to work-study are only accepted each summer and fall.
The work-study leadership program application for fall 2021 – spring 2022 is now closed!
**Deadline for submission was Sunday, August 1.**
Applications must be completed and turned in by the deadline. Late applications will NOT be considered.
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
To qualify for the work-study leadership program, a student must be:
- At least 14 years old (must be 14 as of 9/1/2021)
- Taking intermediate/advanced-level classes
- Applications for the work-study leadership program are typically accepted twice per calendar year (before the fall and summer sessions). Students accepted into the work-study leadership program in the fall will continue in the program through the winter and spring sessions. **STUDENTS ACCEPTED TO THE PROGRAM FOR FALL SESSION MUST REAPPLY FOR SUMMER SESSION.**
- To apply, interested students must complete and submit the online application form before the deadline. The application form must be completed in its entirety, including the student’s availability and paragraphs about why your family is seeking financial assistance unless participating in the new pay-it-forward work-study option.
- In addition to submitting an on-time work-study application, all students must complete the online class registration process BEFORE THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE – particularly in fall and summer sessions. Failure to register on-time may result in a reduction or removal of student-coaching hours.
Work-study hours allotted to each student will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Class requests (entered through the online registration process)
- Financial need (to be outlined in the paragraph section in this application – if no financial need, family may instead choose to participate in the “Pay-it-forward work-study” option)
- Student’s previous attendance and attitude/completion of work-study hours (if applicable)
- Eligibility for our student coaching program (as determined by the directors)
The final questions on the application requires written statements from both the student and the parent/guardian. It is advisable to begin the application process with answers to these questions pre-written as there is no way to save an application in process and return later. A preview of these questions is shown below:
Q: What are you hoping to gain from participating in CJ classes and, specifically, the work-study leadership program? *This answer should be written by the STUDENT*
Q: Why does your family need financial aid? *This answer should be written by the PARENT/GUARDIAN*
*NEW 2021* – Circus Juventas recognizes that some students may want to participate in the work-study leadership program for the job training, leadership, and coaching skills rather than for financial need. If you choose, you may opt out of the regular reimbursement process and instead sign-up as a pay-it-forward work-study student. By selecting the pay-it-forward work-study option, CJ will be able to put your coaching/cleaning hours towards supporting our scholarship program and other important aspects of Circus Juventas rather than crediting back to your account.
Those choosing NOT to enroll in the work-study pay-it-forward option must provide a description of their financial need and will be compensated at a rate of $9/hr of work-study coaching or cleaning.
About the Program
The work-study leadership program at Circus Juventas presents a unique opportunity to leverage circus as vehicle to help youth develop the self-confidence, communications skills, and attention to detail needed to become peer leaders. Our program requires the students involved – whether participating as a cleaner, student coach, or office worker – to excel in their work, be accountable to their manager and coaches, and succeed in challenging situations. Experience in our program has helped students be accepted into the National Honor Society and top-notch colleges as well as obtain employment outside of the big top.
Designed for our most-dedicated students aged 14 and older, students are granted admission into the work-study leadership program after a review panel assesses each application comprehensively, paying especially close to the student’s stated financial need unless enrolling in the pay-it-forward program. Students earn credit toward their tuition for each hour worked, and for many families, it is participation in the work-study program that makes that tuition affordable. For 2021-2022 year, the work-study credit will be calculated at $9/hour worked.
Those accepted into the program undergo training to become successful peer leaders throughout the year. Students new to the program will typically undergo a year of job training as a cleaner before being assessed for student coating on classes in which they have advanced training. Work-study students are expected to be supportive of their peers, active in the CJ community, and mentors to younger students. By managing their time and responsibilities, taking feedback from staff and coaches, establishing strong communication channels with their manager, and fostering relationships with the adults leading the program, work-study students learn the tools needed to find success both under the big top and beyond.
For more information on the work-study leadership program, please review the Policies and Procedures document below.