The Circus Juventas work-study leadership program is for our most dedicated students, ages 14 and older. Work-study provides a great way to be more involved at Circus Juventas (and it’s fun!), and it offers valuable experiences.
To apply for work-study, follow the link below to the online application and read the policies and procedures (see below). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The work-study application deadline is Tuesday, August 1st.
Click HERE to apply
Applications must be completed and turned in by the deadline, August 1st. Late applications will NOT be considered.
To qualify for the work-study leadership program, a student must be:
• At least 14 years old by 9/1/2023
• Taking intermediate/advanced-level classes
Students accepted into the work-study leadership program in the fall will continue in the program through the winter and spring sessions. Summer session placements are pending based on class need and a review of school year participation.
- To apply, interested students must complete and submit the online application form before the deadline. The application form must be completed in its entirety, including the student’s availability and paragraphs about why your family is seeking financial assistance or participating in the pay-it-forward work-study option.
- In addition to submitting an on-time work-study application, all students must complete the online class registration process BEFORE THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE – particularly in fall and summer sessions. Failure to register on-time may result in a reduction or removal of student-coaching hours.
Work-study hours allotted to each student will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Class requests (entered through the online registration process)
- Financial need (to be outlined in the paragraph section in this application – if no financial need, family may instead choose to participate in the “Pay-it-forward work-study” option)
- Student’s previous attendance and attitude/completion of work-study hours (if applicable)
- Eligibility for our student coaching program (as determined by the directors)
*About the Pay-It-Forward Program* – Circus Juventas recognizes that some students may want to participate in the work-study leadership program for the job training, leadership, and coaching skills rather than for financial need. If you choose, you may opt out of the regular reimbursement process and instead sign-up as a pay-it-forward work-study student.
By selecting the pay-it-forward work-study option, CJ will be able to donate your coaching/cleaning hours towards supporting our scholarship program and other important aspects of Circus Juventas instead of receiving a credit/tuition discount.
About the Program
The work-study leadership program at Circus Juventas presents a unique opportunity to leverage circus as vehicle to help youth develop the self-confidence, communications skills, and attention to detail needed to become peer leaders. Our program requires the students involved – whether participating as a cleaner, student coach, or office worker – to excel in their work, be accountable to their manager and coaches, and succeed in challenging situations. Experience in our program has helped students be accepted into the National Honor Society and top-notch colleges as well as obtain employment outside of the big top.
Designed for our most-dedicated students aged 14 and older, students are granted admission into the work-study leadership program after a review panel assesses each application comprehensively, paying especially close to the student’s stated financial need unless enrolling in the pay-it-forward program. Students earn credit toward their tuition for each hour worked, and for many families, it is participation in the work-study program that makes that tuition affordable. For 2023-2024 year, the work-study credit will be calculated at $9/hour worked.
Those accepted into the program undergo training to become successful peer leaders throughout the year. Students new to the program will typically undergo a year of job training as a cleaner before being assessed for student coating on classes in which they have advanced training. Work-study students are expected to be supportive of their peers, active in the CJ community, and mentors to younger students. By managing their time and responsibilities, taking feedback from staff and coaches, establishing strong communication channels with their manager, and fostering relationships with the adults leading the program, work-study students learn the tools needed to find success both under the big top and beyond.
For more information on the work-study leadership program, please review the Policies and Procedures document below.